Friday, December 10, 2010

Creepy Elf on the Shelf!!

Oh my hell.....so my cousin tells me about this cutest Christmas tradition "Elf on a Shelf"...i am not sure where I have been because I had never heard of it before...but it is quite a big ticket item...I had to call around to find a bookstore that actually had it!!!
So I was so excited to have Tate find it, and have him be so excited about it to....what 5 year old wouldn't think that an elf sent by Santa would be cool...........well........apparntely mine!!!
We went to see Santa that same night...so when we got home the "Elf on the Shelf" box was sitting on our back door!!! It lit him up..he was so excited...I tell him"Tate it says it is from Santa, I bet he knows where we live now that you talked to him"!!!! So we go inside and check it out..he says"mom there is an elf and a book!!!"" Still very excited about it, I tell him lets go read it.
So he is sitting next to me in the chair, and we are reading the story, and I can tell with each page he is getting nervous!!! The story goes.....that Santa sent you this elf that you must name, and he is Santa' helper and watches how you are during the day and reports back to Santa at night....so he is always in a different place in the morning!!
Well Tate's little"Bill Nye the Science Guy" brain was going a mile a minute!! He was creeped out BAD!!!! He wouldn't hardly talk after that.....just think....finally he asked me.."mom is"Joe" ( that is official name) going to come alive tonight??? " Joe is just pretend, he isn't real" The poor kid had the willies so bad he slept with us that night!!!! I totally thought I had ruined the magic of Christmas at our house. So he wakes up the next morning and comes into the kitchen...won't even go in the living room and watch t.v. like usual. After about 5 minutes he heads into the room and walks clear around the spot we had left Joe, looking out of the corner of his eye the whole way!!! I was gigglin so hard. NO one said a word. So finally about 10 minutes pass and I say "Oh yeah Tate, what about" I didn't even get it out all the way and he immediately points to Joe and his new place!!! It took about an hour for him to think about it and decide that Joe really is magic, and that he did go to the North Pole last night!!!! Now...it is the first thing he does in the morinng is find that creepy little elf!!! Kids are so damn funny!!! So I hope we can keep the magic alive with this cool tradition. Next year hopefully won't be so dramatic!!!!!!

JOE



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

so fun.... we have Rupert the elf. But he doesn't just stay at our house he travels between ALL the family, he even brings with him a bucket of treats, stays a few days and off he goes again....poor Tate, glad he finally came to terms with it- LOVE IT.

Lisa and Kate said...

Love it! "Poppy" visits our house. Kate loves the idea and goes looking first thing. Glad Tate likes him now! Kate named him after her Pops that passed away a couple weeks ago. Hang in there and happy Holidays to everyone at the Taylor ranch!!!!! XOXOX

Stephanie Taylor said...

I'm going to start calling Tate " The Thinker" he's so smart and I love it! Keep Thinking Tater! XOXO

Megan B ♥ said...

I read this before, when you posted it. I'm still creeped out. Just so you know. That is one FREAKY elf!!